Search Postgresql Archives

Re: huge price database question..

On 03/20/12 7:12 PM, Jim Green wrote:
Also if I use copy, I would be tempted to go the one table route, or
else I need to parse my raw daily file, separate to individual symbol
file and copy to individual table for each symbol(this sounds like not
very efficient)..

your 7000 tables all contain the exact same information, with the only difference being the stock ticker symbol, right? then really, the single table, perhaps partitioned by month or whatever, is the right way to go. Any schema that makes you have to build SQL statements from strings for each query is designed wrong.