Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Re: When I try to connect to a database, I get the following error : psql teleflowdb8

On Friday, February 24, 2012 12:31:34 pm Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 2:30 AM, seha <blackroose89@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > When I try to connect to a database, I get the following error :

> That's the wrong direction.  Try just copying
> /etc/postgres/8.2/main/postgresql.conf to
> /var/lib/postgresql/8.2/main/.  Worked for me.

For the record:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/runtime-config-file-locations.html
"
In a default installation, none of the above parameters are set explicitly.
Instead, the data directory is specified by the -D command-line option or the
PGDATA environment variable, and the configuration files are all found within the
data directory.

If you wish to keep the configuration files elsewhere than the data directory, the
postgres -D command-line option or PGDATA environment variable must point to the
directory containing the configuration files, and the data_directory parameter
must be set in postgresql.conf (or on the command line) to show where the data
directory is actually located. Notice that data_directory overrides -D and
PGDATA for the location of the data directory, but not for the location of the
configuration files.

If you wish, you can specify the configuration file names and locations
individually using the parameters config_file, hba_file and/or ident_file. config_file
can only be specified on the postgres command line, but the others can be set
within the main configuration file. If all three parameters plus data_directory
are explicitly set, then it is not necessary to specify -D or PGDATA.

When setting any of these parameters, a relative path will be interpreted with
respect to the directory in which postgres is started.
"

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxx