Search Postgresql Archives

Re: restart server on Lion

Hi all,

Problem resolved.  The postgres server now starts automatically when my OSX Lion machine reboots.  Hopefully the following info will be useful for anyone contemplating a macports installation of PostgreSQL.

The biggest impediment to getting the relaunch behavior I expected was from installing the postgresql84 package, rather than postgresql84-server.  The latter package contains the LaunchDaemon wrapper script that will ultimately relaunch postgres on reboot; it also apparently corrects the postgres username clobbering that Apple "provides" with PG on Lion.  Furthermore, it prints post-installation and db initialization instructions to the shell, which obviates having to glean that info from web searches ;)

Note that in my installation, I cleverly broke the LaunchDaemon wrapper's ability to relaunch postgres by making a minor change to macport's default database directly structure.  Turns out their postgres initd instructions reflect paths that are hard-wired in the wrapper.  Who knew?

I run PostgreSQL in a closed environment, for development and testing purposes, on my laptop.  Installing a *-server package seemed overkill.  Quite the contrary, that's exactly what I should've done from the beginning.

Hope this helps -
Scott