Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [HACKERS] pg_dump -s dumps data?!

On 01/31/2012 04:36 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 11:18 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
I don't recall that we thought very hard about what should happen when
pg_dump switches are used to produce a selective dump, but ISTM
reasonable that if it's "user data" then it should be dumped only if
data in a regular user table would be.

Yep.

What's not apparent to me is whether there's an argument for doing more
than that.  It strikes me that the current design is not very friendly
towards the idea of an extension that creates a table that's meant
solely to hold user data --- you'd have to mark it as "config" which
seems a bit unfortunate terminology for that case.  Is it important to
do something about that, and if so what?

Is this anything more than a naming problem?

Seems to me that would be dependent on what the future plans are for the extension mechanism. There is also the issue of backward compatibility for those people that are using configuration tables in their extensions and would like to maintain that separation. I could see adding another function that is similar and would be used to identify strictly user data tables.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxx