Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL 9.1 pg_dump setval() sets wrong value

On 12/29/2011 09:19 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:

I'll pass, thanks for all your "help" guys.  It's been a blast.

I did not suggest that.  I suggested they *might* be happening.  In
lieu of a reproducible test case (a couple of us took a stab at
creating one ourselves and could not come up with your issue) or some
other smoking gun it is something that has to ruled out.
Statistically speaking, operator error is by far the most common cause
of bug reports and as engineers we tend to rule out the most likely
culprits first.  It's nothing personal.

By the way, I've been diagnosing and fixing other people's problems on
this list for years and have a pretty good feel for what's a real
problem or not.  Your is one of those that can go either way and I was
willing to take time out of my day, gratis, to help you fix it on your
end and/or suggest a fix to the database itself.  Since you are
obviously unaware of the value of that help, not to mention Tom's
incredibly precious time, it is your curse to have to reset your
sequences for ever and ever.  Happy Holidays.

To add. It is the difference between working the solution and working the problem. The problem was you where seeing unexpected behavior. That is given. The solution at this point is a work in progress and without exploring all avenues will remain so. The bigger picture is that potentially this is something that could affect more than you and if that is the case, or not, it would nice to nip it in the bud sooner rather than later.

merlin

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxx