Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pg crash shortly after 9.1.1 -> 9.1.2 upgrade

On 12/08/2011 12:54 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Joseph Shraibman<jks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  writes:
All was fine until:
LOG:  statement: select "_devel".cleanupEvent('10 minutes'::interval,
'false'::boolean);
ERROR:  could not open file "base/16406/2072097_fsm": Permission denied

That's pretty weird.  What were the permissions on that file?  Was it
properly owned by the postgres user?

It had no permissions at all

---------- 1 postgres postgres         0 Feb 14  2005 2072097_fsm

I actually didn't notice the old date until now. This was an 8.4.x database that I upgraded to 9.1.1 a while ago using pg_upgrade (using the hardlink option). I still have a backup of the 8.4 database from when I did the upgrade, and that file doesn't appear in it.

WARNING:  AbortTransaction while in COMMIT state
PANIC:  cannot abort transaction 7108311, it was already committed

And that's even weirder, since it implies that we tried to open the FSM
file during post-commit cleanup.  The commit-record printout suggests
that we probably were trying to delete the file due to a committed DROP
TABLE operation, but I don't understand why we tried to open the file
rather than just unlink it.

Can you reproduce this?

No.  Nothing was going on at the time, and it hasn't happened again (yet).

 Can you show us what cleanupEvent() does?

It's from slony 2.0.7. The server wasn't in heavy use at the time, and all that appeared in the logs as far back as I cared to look was slony activity. That was that last line before the error.