Search Postgresql Archives

Re: High-Concurrency GiST in postgreSQL

On 12/5/2011 12:31 PM, C. Mundi wrote:

Hello.  This is my first post.  As such, feedback on style and choice of
venue are especially welcome.

I am a regular but not especially expert user of a variety of databases,
including postgreSQL.
I have only modest experience with spatial databases.

I have a new project[1] in which GiST could be very useful, provided I
can achieve high concurrency.<SNIP>

concurrency here can mean different things. One application hitting PG which then uses multiple threads? (Not currently possible) Or one app with multiple threads each having a database connection? (Which is really the same as) Multiple app's each having a database connection?

PG limits one database connection to one cpu. Multiple connections will use multiple cpu.

OR, by concurrency, do you mean, non-blocking? And if you mean non-blocking, is that for read's, write's, or both?

In PG you can do non-blocking, multiple connections (ie multiple cpu), reads as much as you want.

Extending to indexes: many connections can read a gist index at the same time. Is that what you need?

-Andy