Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Selective backup script

Mike Blackwell, 21.11.2011 17:50:
I've seen a couple backup scripts that query the metadata to
determine the list of databases to back up.  I like this approach,
but have a few databases which don't get backed up for various
reasons, e.g. testing databases which we'd prefer to recreate on the
off chance we loose them, rather than have using up time/disk for
backup.  Might there be a way to tag those databases somehow so the
backup script knows to skip them?  I'd rather not hard code the list
in the script.

Thoughts?

What about using the comments on the database to control this?

For those database that you need to backup, run something like:

comment on database postgres is 'do_backup';

Then in the shell script that retrieves the databases to backup, you could do something like this:

select db.datname
from pg_database db
  join pg_shdescription dc on dc.objoid = db.oid
where dc.description = 'do_backup';

Or if you have more database to backup than not, then maybe flipping the logic is also an option:

comment on database notimportant is 'no_backup';

select db.datname, dc.description
from pg_database db
  left join pg_shdescription dc on dc.objoid = db.oid
where dc.description is distinct from 'no_backup';

Hope this helps.

Thomas