Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Fedora 16 note...

Jerry Levan <jerry.levan@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On Nov 10, 2011, at 9:56 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
>> On 11/10/2011 11:10 PM, Jerry Levan wrote:
>>> I found that postgresql would not start at boot time until
>>> I did:
>>> systemctl enable postgresql.service

>> That's Fedora policy: don't start a service unless the user asks for it to be started.

> This is the first time I have had to manually enable a service like postgresql and httpd
> since Fedora 4. I guess this is mostly from the systemd take over...

It's exactly from the systemd takeover.  Traditionally a system upgrade
would preserve your sysv "chkconfig" settings for which services to
autostart, but there is a specific policy in place to not do that when a
service is transitioned to systemd.  The reasoning was that in many cases
the configuration mechanisms are changing at the same time (for
instance, postgresql no longer pays attention to /etc/sysconfig/) and
autostarting a possibly-now-misconfigured daemon seemed like a bad idea.

			regards, tom lane