Search Postgresql Archives

Re:

On 11/08/2011 09:18 AM, daflmx wrote:
Hi,friends.
Can you tell me the difference between the "dpkg -b directory
packagename" and "dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot".Do these two commands
both have the function of build a debian package?

First: is this an assignment or something? We've had an unusual flood of questions about building Debian packages for PostgreSQL, which often means someone's set coursework.

IIRC "dpkg -b" is just a wrapper around other tools. In the end the work is done by debian/control and debian/rules anyway.

Neither does anything useful without a suitable debian/ directory with debian/control file etc in the target directory. They don't just magically turn any old source folder into a binary Debian package.

If you want to learn about building Debian packages, don't ask here, read the Debian guide on packaging:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/first.en.html#workflow
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/build.en.html

--