Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostGIS in a commercial project

Mark Cave-Ayland, 25.10.2011 12:51:
As Robert has suggested, you have misunderstood the GPL license - if
you make changes to the *PostGIS* source code AND you distribute the
modified code to your customer (rather than offering a managed
service), you would need to make the changes available to your
*customer* upon request but there is no obligation to make them
available to anyone else. But then if your application connects
remotely to the PostgreSQL server then your application isn't linking
directly to the PostGIS libraries, so then this becomes a non-issue
anyway.

I guess strictly speaking you could call using stored procedures with
PostGIS functions a GPL "violation", but I don't believe anyone
associated with the project would have a problem with this. The aim
of the GPL license for PostGIS was to ensure that code was
contributed back to the project core, not because we want to claim
ownership on everyone's GIS application code.

If you have any further questions related to licensing, we would be
glad to discuss this further on the postgis-users mailing list.

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.

I always have a hard time to understand the GPL especially the dividing line between "using", "linkin" and creating a derived work.

Kind regards
Thomas