Search Postgresql Archives

Re: I/O error on data file, can't run backup

On 10/05/2011 02:48 PM, Leif Biberg Kristensen wrote:

I had a hang on the machine a few hours earlier that required a power-off
reboot. That has been a problem with this rig since I built it about a year
ago, it's probably a funky connection somewhere. This may be the direct cause
of the I/O error, which also may mean that the disk is not to blame.

I'm so used to postgres and everything else coming up without a hiccup after a
power-off that I don't usually pay much attention to it
PostgreSQL is great, but it can't overcome defective hardware.

I'm thinking perhaps a funky memory problem - you are having odd crashes after all.

If memory is failing you could have a file that is corrupted not on disk but in the cache. Perhaps in the process of stopping and starting PostgreSQL, the data that was causing the trouble got flushed from cache then reread from disk. You may find this story interesting:
http://blogs.oracle.com/ksplice/entry/attack_of_the_cosmic_rays1

Cheers,
Steve