Search Postgresql Archives

Re: bytea columns and large values

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 7:30 AM, Alban Hertroys <haramrae@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 29 September 2011 13:12, Radosław Smogura <rsmogura@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> sending ~1GB bytea values is borderline crazy, and is completely crazy
>>> if you are not absolutely sure the transmission is not 100% binary.  I
>>> don't know if the JDBC sends/receives bytea as binary, but it may not.
>>>  If not, you might have better luck with the large object interface.
>
>> "Crazy"? I thought that official stand was to keep such crazy values as
>> TOAST, and LOB interface isn't something worth of usage.

I'm not saying that placing such large values in a table (or LO) is a
good idea, but - if I had managed to put data *in* to a table that I
couldn't get back out, I'd be a bit cranky, especially if my attempt
to do so kills the backend I am using (which triggers a shutdown of
all other backends, no?).

--
Jon