Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Replication between 64/32bit systems?

On 09/23/2011 04:35 AM, Hannes Erven wrote:
thank you for your replies -- unfortunately, I'm not very content with
"it simply won't work" without understanding what the reasons are. ;-)

Endianness, OK, but that's the same on i32/64 platforms. So is it just
the length of the int&  friends data types? I don't (yet) believe
there's no way around that.
Theoretically, code could be written that understood the 32-bit form and translated it to the 64-bit form or vice versa. AFAIK no such code has been written and I don't think anyone's particularly interested in doing it.

Similarly, it'd be possible to come up with an arch-independent WAL and datadir format that fixed the sizes and endianness of all representations. There'd be a performance cost, but it probably wouldn't be a huge one, and it'd probably be possible to make a "portable format database" an option that could be chosen at initdb time. Again, though, I doubt anyone's particularly interested in doing the required work, and it's not clear a patch would be accepted because of the increased maintenance and testing burden it'd impose.

--
Craig Ringer