Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Problem with the 9.1 one-click installer Windows7 64bit

Craig Ringer, 14.09.2011 06:20:
As Dave noted, it's a non-recursive grant. It isn't changing the
permissions for C:\ and everything under it. It's only changing the
permissions for C:\ its self. It's then stepping down the path of
parents down to the datadir and doing the same thing to make sure you
have the required rights on every folder all the way down.

See: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753525(WS.10).aspx

and note the lack of the /t flag when icacls is called.

I ran another install and monitored what the process was doing and it *is* recursively touching all files on my harddisk when

icacls  C:\ /grant "tkellerer":RX

is called. Even without the /t switch.

I verified this using ProcessExplorer displaying the open file handles for the running icacls.exe

So there is either some (hidden?) system setting that makes icacls to recurse by default or something has changed in Windows7.

I can see the exact same behaviour (touching all files recursively) when I run the above command manually from a command prompt

Regards
Thomas