Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Demoting master to slave without an rsync...is it safe?

Chris Redekop wrote:
I have a master+slave set up using asynchronous streaming replication. If I do a graceful (-fast) shutdown of the master, and then promote the slave to master, my understanding is that I should not have any data loss. At that point in order to bring the old master back up as a slave the docs say I should do a base-backup etc....however I've found that simply setting recovery_target_timeline='latest' does allow the old master to start back up as a slave, and everything appears to be happy, all data seems to be synced properly. My question is, is this safe to do? It's a very attractive option as it removes a significant amount of load from the master server for planned switch-overs (maintenance/upgrades/whatever). Thanks!
Hi Chris,

I don't have an answer for you, but I am doing the kind of tests you are doing.
I tested the following cases:
case-1  Shutdown master, slave still available for read-only
          Then started master, both master and slave works properly
case-2 Shutdown slave while master still running and lots of inserts and updates After 10 minutes, started slave, and it catched up with the changes within minutes

case-3 Assume master is crash, shutdown master, slave in read-only and waiting for the WAL update. Then, I touch the recovery failover file indicated in recovery.conf.
           The slave changed into read-write mode.
A lots of inserts and update to the slave now become master. (I am not sure its a good idea, but in real case if master down I want the slave can act as master while waiting for the another slave available.) I am not sure the changes are updated to arch_replicate directory where are the old Master write to it. I real case I need to make sure no changes to the new master right after the fail over. Then copy the postgresql.conf and recovery.conf to the $PGDATA of the new master then restart the database. Then resyn $PGDATA to another location of the old master host, then copy slave conf to the new $PGDATA. I have about 1TB of database can take up to 30 minues.
           Then restart the new slave, every thing works.

I have two questions:
(1) Did you set recovery_target_timeline='latest' in both master and slave?
(2) Did you make any changes after promote the slave to be master?
--

Best regards,

Alex Lai
OMI SIPS DBA ADNET Systems , Inc. 7515 Mission Drive, Suite A100 Lanham, MD 20706 301-352-4657 (phone) 301-352-0437 (fax) alai@xxxxxxxxxx