Search Postgresql Archives

Re: alter column appears to work, but doesn't?

2011-09-05_15:03:00-0400 Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Ron Peterson <rpeterso@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > I just updated a table to have a larger column size as follows.
>
> > alter table attributes_log alter column attribute_name type varchar(48);
>
> How come this refers to "attributes_log" while your failing command is
> an insert into "attributes"?

That was a typo, sorry.  Did do the same thing on original table.  I did
the same thing to attributes_log because I have rules that log data
there from my original table on insert/update/delete.

I just dropped my logging rules, stopped the database and restarted it,
put my rules back in place, and now it works.  Not sure why.  Cached
query plan?

--
Ron Peterson
Network & Systems Administrator