Search Postgresql Archives

Re: md5 of table

I thought about using dblink and the EXCEPT query, but then I need to
know the field list of each query result, which is a pain in the butt.
That is not correct.  As long as the table definitions are precisely
the same, you can move records across dblink without specifying
fields.  You do this by using record type for the composite which
dblink sends across as text.

merlin
Do you have a quick example? This is what I have tried:

select * from tbla
except
select * from dblink('host=dbhost dbname=otherdb user=myuser
password=mypwd'::text, 'select * from tbla')

The error I get back is:
ERROR:  a column definition list is required for functions returning
"record"
sure:
select tbla from tbla
except
select t::tbla from dblink('host=dbhost dbname=otherdb user=myuser
password=mypwd'::text, 'select tbla::text from tbla') R(t text);
We tried something like that. Unfortunately, in 8.2 you can't cast a row type as text.

there's a bunch of ways to do that -- you can also do the md5 on the
remote side so you can just send the digests.
select * from tbla
except
select (t::tbla).* from dblink('host=dbhost dbname=otherdb user=myuser
password=mypwd'::text, 'select tbla::text from tbla') R(t text);

should also work.

This *might* work -- I didn't try.  It's been a while since I've used
stock dblink.
select * from tbla
except
select (t).* from dblink('host=dbhost dbname=otherdb user=myuser
password=mypwd'::text, 'select tbla from tbla') R(t tbla);

merlin

This looks like it might work for us. At least I would only need the table name for the field list instead of the entire column list.