Search Postgresql Archives

Adding Additional Standby

Hello,

We have an existing master-slave setup running on 9.0. I was looking into adding a new hot standby into this setup — I have added a script that satisfies the requirements of the archive_command, but it isn't clear to me how to add this new standby into the mix. Is it as simple as calling pg_start_backup to create a new base backup and then starting postgresql on the new machine once the base backup has completed? Aren't there syncing issues to consider? My intuition tells me that the standbys need to be in sync for the archive_command to work (since it simply passes in a filename that is expected to get copied over).

Initially, I was planning on pausing replication on the existing standby, and running replication on the new stanby to catch up to the same xid as the old standby. However, I then discovered that pausing isn't supported on 9.0 (but will be on 9.1). Does stopping postgresql on the existing standby have the same effect? Am I doing something unusual here? Is it possible to do what I am attempting to do?

Thank you very much!

Andrew