Search Postgresql Archives

Re: function on trigger

On 08/31/11 3:39 PM, Marcos Hercules Santos wrote:
I'm newbie in Psql and I'm trying to build one function  in order to
count the products for each supplier. So i'm gonna put it quite simply
though this example

Please, consider a table called books with the following fields

bookid, title, price, idPublisher

and one another table called publisher

Idpublisher, name, city, Books

Being in that last field from Publisher, called book, I gotta have the
amount of published books for each publisher.

get rid of the books field on your publisher table, thats dynamic and changes as you add/remove books from the book table. to get that data, try...

SELECT p.idPublisher, p.name, p.city, COUNT(b.bookid) AS books FROM publisher p JOIN books b USING idPublisher GROUP BY p.idPublisher;

you could make this a view if its too cumbersome.

CREATE VIEW publisher_books SELECT p.idPublisher, p.name, p.city, COUNT(b.bookid) AS books FROM publisher p JOIN books b USING idPublisher GROUP BY p.idPublisher;

    SELECT * from publisher_books;

and of course, add other WHERE conditions...

        SELECT books FROM publisher_books WHERE name=?;