Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Postgres 8.3 Function returning a row with different number of colums

First of all thanks for the quick replies, i'll describe my problem more in detail.

I'm using postgress with the latest release of GNU Gatekeeper.

More specifically I need a query that returns a row with exactly a single column (a text) in one case and a row with exactly two columns (a text and an integer) in the other case.

So i can't just return everytime two columns with one null sometimes. I know this is a little strange but it's a constraint of the Gatekeeper so i have no choiche :(

This is the way i call the query from inside the gatekeeper:

select * from routing ( param1, param2, param3, param4 ) as ( result text, reason integer );

is there a way to make the reason optional?

Thanks.

Gianpiero Venditti