Search Postgresql Archives

practical Fail-over methods (was: streaming replication trigger file)

On 16/06/11 18:44, John R Pierce wrote:
On 06/16/11 1:31 AM, AI Rumman wrote:
When I manually create the C:\\pg\\stopreplication\\standby.txt' file,
then it is working. That is, B is becoming the master.
So, my question is, how this trigger file should be created so that B
will become master automatically as soon as A goes down?

you need cluster management software, such as Heartbeat (on linux) or
Veritas Cluster Service (on various operating systems) configured to
detect system failure, and reconfigure the slave to be the master. This
software also generally is used to manage things like the shared IP

really really REALLY important is what to do when the failed original
master is brought back up. it can NOT be allowed to wake up thinking its
still a master since its lacking any updates since it went down, instead
it has to be reconfigured to be a new slave.

Just following on a bit from this..

It seems fairly hard to get that part right - ensuring that the former-master stays down, and also that automatic scripts don't run off and convert the wrong one into a new standby either.

Do you mind if I ask how other people are doing this? Are you finding heartbeat, keepalived or pacemaker better? What sort of ways are you triggering the fail-over by?

And, how are you avoiding having a former-master come back up thinking it's still the master.. yet still coping with a situation where, say, first one machine, then the other, reboot. (thus easily triggering a failover to one, then it going down and the other coming up and looking like it's alone in the world)

Thanks!
Toby