Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Implementing "thick"/"fat" databases

Am 25.07.2011 10:12, schrieb Pavel Stehule:
2011/7/25 Frank Lanitz<frank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Am 22.07.2011 21:15, schrieb Karl Nack:

to move as much business/transactional logic as
possible into the database, so that client applications become little
more than moving data into and out of the database using a well-defined
API, most commonly (but not necessarily) through the use of stored
procedures.

Beside the points already mentioned, doing this will might cause bottle
necks if you have complicated transactions as the DB-cluster might can not
be scaled as good as maybe a farm of application server could be done.

Yes, and no - this can decrease network overhead, can decrease a data
conversion overhead. Sometimes I was surprised how much time I got
with moving to stored procedures.

Yep. Its always depending on what you are doing I guess.

Cheers,
Frank