Search Postgresql Archives

replacing a subquery with an outer join?

in an earlier thread, the following query was submitted:

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM q
      WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT 1
                          FROM t AS t
                         WHERE t.mid = q.mid);

and as part of his answer, David Johnson responded

3. Also, you are using a correlated sub-query instead of a LEFT OUTER JOIN

This interests me.  How would you rewrite the correlated subquery above using the outer join?

--
e-Mail is the equivalent of a postcard written in pencil.  This message may not have been sent by me, or intended for you.  It may have been read or even modified while in transit.  e-Mail disclaimers have the same force in law as a note passed in study hall.  If your corporate attorney says that you need an disclaimer in your signature, you need a new corporate attorney.