Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Performance Monitoring of PostGRE

On Jul 6, 8:44 am, wmo...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Bill Moran) wrote:

> > Monitoring PostgreSQL has been a big issue for us since beginning to migrate from Oracle, so if anyone else has any experience with this I would love to hear other suggestions.
>
> Most of our monitoring is done through Nagios and Cacti by extracting data
> from log files or pg_stat_activity, pg_locks and other system tables.  It
> takes a bit of know-how to know what tables to get the data you want from,
> and a comprehensive monitoring tool would definitely make it easier on
> newbies.

Apologies for the vendor promotion - but it's on point: LogicMonitor
has pretty comprehensive postgres monitoring. It does similar things -
getting data from the system tables - but it automatically discovers
all databases, shows data for all them, graphs and trends, and "knows"
quite a bit about Postgres, so it removes the need for the bit of know-
how on the users part to get effective monitoring and alerting.
http://www.logicmonitor.com/monitoring/databases/postgres-monitoring/

(Of course, also monitors all the standard OS stuff (CPU, swap rate,
etc) and non-standard stuff.)