Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Setup postgres with automatic table and user intitiallisation

On 06/28/2011 05:34 AM, Lodron, Gerald wrote:
I have the problem that when i run my batch i always have to let the user type in the password, thats nasty... I also tried PGPASSWORD but it does not work, it always prints that it is the wrong password...

I'm not sure if setting PGPASSWORD in a Windows batch file is going to work correctly...have you tried creating a .pgpass file instead? http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/libpq-pgpass.html

Another option to consider is swapping out the default pg_hba.conf file with one that trusts local users fully. You could put that in place, signal the server to reload its configuration, execute your setup script, then put back a properly secured file and reload again. There will be a brief window where any local user could gain access to the database server as a superuser that way. But if you were that worried about locking down security, you probably wouldn't be deploying an auto-installer on Windows in the first place.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   Baltimore, MD
Comprehensive and Customized PostgreSQL Training Classes: