Search Postgresql Archives

Re: You could be a PostgreSQL Patch Reviewer!

> I have no knowledge on the subject one way or the other, that's why
> I'm asking.. If the answer is "no, there would be no benefit" then
> that's the answer.. However, it seems like generating UUIDs in Win64
> has been broken, perhaps, forever which is why I question if there's a
> better library to use on the Windows platform (or having a single UUID
> generator built in for all platforms)..

We don't know of a better UUID generator, and barring evidence to the contrary, it seems much more efficient to contribute to the uuid-ossp project than to invent our own.  As far as I can tell, the UUID extension is designed to support configurable UUID libraries, so if you could find one which worked well for Windows, it would probably be fairly easy to extend UUID to support it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.