Search Postgresql Archives

Re: ZEOS or PGDAC - How to lock a resource?

Merlin Moncure wrote:
2011/5/4 durumdara <durumdara@xxxxxxxxx>:
Hi!

We will porting an application to PGSQL from some table based app (BDE
like).

The older application used a special technic of the driver: if a record
edited, some exclusive (over transaction), "forever living" lock put on it.
On exit, cancel, or post this lock removed.

We used this to lock the main resource from concurrent edits.

advisory locks
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/functions-admin.html#FUNCTIONS-ADVISORY-LOCKS

(aside: borland delphi is increasingly obsolete in the scheme of
things, but zeos is one of the best postgres drivers ever written!)

I don't use Zeos, but a few months ago I was using listen/notify via FPC's standard classes to good effect so I'd be surprised if there were any problems.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk