Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Fwd: Re: SSDD reliability

On 05/04/2011 03:24 PM, David Boreham wrote:
So if someone says that SSDs have "failed", I'll assume that they suffered from Flash cell
wear-out unless there is compelling proof to the contrary.

I've been involved in four recovery situations similar to the one described in that coding horror article, and zero of them were flash wear-out issues. The telling sign is that the device should fail to read-only mode if it wears out. That's not what I've seen happen though; what reports from the field are saying is that sudden, complete failures are the more likely event.

The environment inside a PC of any sort, desktop or particularly portable, is not a predictable environment. Just because the drives should be less prone to heat and vibration issues doesn't mean individual components can't slide out of spec because of them. And hard drive manufacturers have a giant head start at working out reliability bugs in that area. You can't design that sort of issue out of a new product in advance; all you can do is analyze returns from the field, see what you screwed up, and do another design rev to address it.

The idea that these new devices, which are extremely complicated and based on hardware that hasn't been manufactured in volume before, should be expected to have high reliability is an odd claim. I assume that any new electronics gadget has an extremely high failure rate during its first few years of volume production, particularly from a new manufacturer of that product.

Intel claims their Annual Failure Rate (AFR) on their SSDs in IT deployments (not OEM ones) is 0.6%. Typical measured AFR rates for mechanical drives is around 2% during their first year, spiking to 5% afterwards. I suspect that Intel's numbers are actually much better than the other manufacturers here, so a SSD from anyone else can easily be less reliable than a regular hard drive still.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   Baltimore, MD