Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pervasiveness of surrogate (also called synthetic) keys

On 4/28/2011 12:29 PM, Jim Irrer wrote:
A colleague of mine insists that using surrogate keys is the
common practice by an overwhelming margin in relational databases and
that they are used in 99 percent of large installations.  I agree that many
situations benefit from them, but are they really as pervasive
as he claims?

Thanks,

- Jim

I dont see how you could know unless you went to all the "large installations" and asked. But since its a good idea, and you "should" do it that way, and because I'm pessimistic, I'd say only 5% of RDB users do it that way.

Oh!  Joke:  Why do DB Admins make better lovers?  They use surrogates!

Anyway, I'm not a large install, but I use em. That's gotta count for something.

Really, how could you count? Was there a poll someplace? Ask for some data. Otherwise seems like BS to me.

-Andy