Search Postgresql Archives

Re: postgres conferences missing videos?

On 22/03/2011 7:47 AM, Tomas Vondra wrote:
Dne 21.3.2011 20:23, Vick Khera napsal(a):
On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 1:45 PM, AljoÅa MohoroviÄ
<aljosa.mohorovic@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
postgres is losing a lot of promotional and educational materials, why
is this happening?

Someone has to do lots of work to tape the talks, get proper
permissions from the presenters, and then host the videos.  Often this
would land on the shoulders of the conference organizers, who are
already working hard just to pull off the live show.

Not that much - I've recorded local JUG monthly meetings for more than a
year. With a decent DV cam and a microphone, it's quite easy. After all,
it's just a pearson standing and talking, not a LOTR ...

Yep ... and something many people don't realize is that they don't even need a dedicated DV cam anymore. Many "still" digital cameras make excellent video cameras now.

My Canon PowerShot SX20IS compact camera takes great 720p video and supports a sound patch if desired, though the directional mike on the camera is surprisingly good. I can zoom seriously deep and still get a good result thanks to the high-range lens, too. My work's Canon EOS 50D does even more impressive video - and the 5D Mark II the photographer uses is incredible.

Many people have low-end SLR or high-end fixed cameras that're really good video cameras, they just don't know it. Many of them will have tripods, and a basic tripod for fixed indoor use is cheap anyway.

Given that, I wouldn't think that gear is much of an obstacle.

--
Craig Ringer