Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How do i calculate a finish time when the start time is ambiguous?

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 08:26:03 -0700, Rob Richardson <Rob.Richardson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have a table that records a starting time for a process and the length
of time that process will take, and I need to calculate the time the
process will end.  I have the starting time both in local time and in
UTC time, but for reasons which I consider totally idiotic, they are
timestamp fields, not timestamptz fields.  My calculation must take into
account the possibility that time will change from standard to daylight
time or vice versa during the interval.

But I'm having a difficult time coming up with a function that will use
this information.

I suggest you calculate your finish time in UTC (since that number is not
ambiguous). You, then, do convert it to whatever TZ you need.

Cheers.