Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Mysql to Postgresql

On 2/22/2011 9:33 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
On 02/22/11 1:25 AM, Jaime Crespo RincÃn wrote:
2011/2/22 Adarsh Sharma<adarsh.sharma@xxxxxxxxxx>:
Dear all,

Today I need to back up a mysql database and restore in Postgresql
database
but I don't know how to achieve this accurately.
Have a look at: "mysqldump --compatible=postgresql" command:
<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysqldump.html#option_mysqldump_compatible>

Anyway, most of the times you will need a more manual migration, with
human intervention (custom scripts) and migrating the data through
something like CSV (SELECT... INTO OUTFILE).

if your tables aren't too huge, one method is via a perl script that
uses DBI to connect to both mysql and pgsql, and fetches a table from
one and loads it into the other. the catch-22 is, its fairly hard to do
this efficiently if the tables won't fit in memory

there are also various "ETL" (Extract, Translate, Load) tools that do
this sort of thing with varying levels of performance and automation,
some free, some commercial.

Actually, in mysql, you can set:

$db->{"mysql_use_result"} = 1;

Which causes mysql to not load the entire result set into memory, it might be a bit slower because it has to make more round trips to the server, but it uses very little ram. (I use this in my own perl mysql to pg script)

-Andy