Search Postgresql Archives

Re: why is there no TRIGGER ON SELECT ?

Hey Melvin,

2011/2/22 Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@xxxxxxxxx>

Other than "It's currently not available", can anyone provide a logical explanation of why triggers cannot be implemented for SELECT statements, or rules for SELECT must be DO INSTEAD SELECT?

PostgreSQL was derived from Ingres, and Ingres had a nice auditing feature that also handled SELECT. It would be simple enough to write a RULE or TRIGGER on a SELECT to just log access, but for some unexplainable reason (at least to my knowledge) this has been greatly restricted in PostgreSQL. I am sure many DBA's and developers would greatly appreciate the addition of a TRIGGER or RULE on SELECT, and it should be simple enough to change the code, so I am curious as to why this has never been done.

Thanks in advance.
Why not use function which returns table and wrap the
logging (auditing) code in it ?

Melvin Davidson

--
// Dmitriy.