Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Permission denied error - best way to fix?

On 02/08/11 2:44 PM, Mike Christensen wrote:
Here's the error:

pg_dump: SQL command failed
pg_dump: Error message from server: ERROR:  permission denied for
relation pantryitems
pg_dump: The command was: LOCK TABLE public.pantryitems IN ACCESS SHARE
MODE

Does the user need to be a superuser, or is there some way to GRANT
this permission (if possible, I don't want this user to be able to
modify the schema)..

Mike

pg_dump is an admin function so it will need to run as a role that can touch
all requested objects and take action. For this particular case you could
GRANT SELECT on that table to the restricted user. The trouble being is that
this turns into a game of Whack-a-Mole fairly quickly. This is one of those
situations where taken a long view on your permissions scheme will pay
dividends.
Hmm interesting, I wonder if this error is happening because pg_dump
is being run from another program (RubyMine) and the process doesn't
have whatever access it needs.

its definately a postgres permissions error. I'd verify the pg user credentials being passed to pg_dump. if no user or anything is being specified, then its likely inheriting the unix username that the parent process runs as.