Search Postgresql Archives

SELECT INTO array[i] with PL/pgSQL

Dear PostgreSQL community,

Please consider the following minimal example:

CREATE TABLE example (row_id SERIAL, value TEXT);
INSERT INTO example(value) VALUES ('val1');
INSERT INTO example(value) VALUES ('val2');
INSERT INTO example(value) VALUES ('val3');

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION foo()
RETURNS TEXT
AS
$$
DECLARE
  a TEXT;
  b TEXT[];
  i INT;
BEGIN
  FOR i in 1..3 LOOP
    SELECT INTO a    value FROM example WHERE row_id=i;  -- This works
    b[i] := a;                                           -- perfectly!
--  SELECT INTO b[i] value FROM example WHERE row_id=i;  Doesn't work!
  END LOOP;
    RETURN b[2];
END;
$$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

The error message indicates a problem with selecting values into an array.
I have read the documentation carefully and have done extensive web search, but a more verbose error message and some additional explanation would help me to understand the problem. Is there a way to select values directly into an array without the assignment from an additional variable?

Regards,
Julia