Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Server stops responding in every week

On 1/21/2011 9:43 AM, Andrus wrote:
Andy,

Does PG start swapping to disk?

Earlier I used Stack builder to optimize Postgres as dedicated server.
MS SQL server was installed afterwards.
In this case message
"System is out of virtual memory". Windows is increasing the swap file
size. During this memory requests from applications may fail.

occurs in server screen if Postgres stops responding.

I re-ran Stack builder to optimize conf file as application server and
uninstalled MS SQL server.
After that I havent noticed any swapping.

Yeah, mssql is a huge memory resource hog.

Does ram using increase over the week?
Have you looked at pg_stat_activity and pg_locks?
Do you see "Idle in transaction" (probably in task manager)?

I havent looked into them.

How to automatically re-start postgres service in every night ? Or is it
better to switch to 32bit server?

Neither.  You need to fix the problem.

-Andy