Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Copying databases with extensions - pg_dump question

On 21/01/2011 15:55, Bill Moran wrote:

On the "no" side, doing this kind of thing is always complex.  We have a
slew of other, very specialized scripts that do things like convert a
production database to a development database by sanitizing sensitive
data, or automatically deploy new database or upgrades to either our
production, development, or lab environments.  Build tools like phing,
make, ant, etc make this kind of thing easier to create, but it's still
a lot of work because each situation is special.

Yes, I've also made a set of migration and sanitizing scripts so that aspect is covered. I was only wondering if there is some way I'm missing that would solve this one step more elegantly.

So, my overall answer is that you're probably on the right track, you
probably don't realize how much work is involved to get this really
working well, and I would change just a few things about your approach
based on the information you've provided so far.  The requirement to
use an unprivileged user to restore is going to make the tools you
use to prepare the input files more important, but that's not insurmountable
if you keep control over them (i.e. use schema files and a tool for
normalizing them and do the data dump separately)

Thanks, I'll consider that approach.