Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to generate unique invoice numbers for each day

Yes. This is customer requirement and I cannot change it.
OR... can you go back to your customer and tell them they wont like this. Really really they should let you do it correctly. I find people dont change because they dont have to, not because there is an actual reason. Many times, given a description of how hard and how messy something will be to code, I have convinced people that a simple business change and simple code is really the best approach. But I have hit walls. Things I could not change, but I did try.

My Visual FoxPro application  works OK in this case.
I used FLOCK() to lock invoice header table (FLOCK() waits indefinitely until lock is obtained and reads fresh data from disk),

used

SELECT MAX( CAST( SUBSTRING(invoiceno,8) AS INT ) )+1
FROM invoices
WHERE date= m.invoice_date

to get next free number, inserted invoice and unlocked the table.

Customer expects Postgres to be more powerful than FoxPro . He don't understand why this stops working after upgrade.

Andrus.