Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Inconsistent time interval formatting

On 01/13/11 9:34 AM, Allen Chen wrote:
Has anyone else out there noticed inconsistencies in how pgsql formats time intervals over 1 day?

For example, I have a query that returns a column of intervals and I get output like this:

30:30:00
1 day 03:02:47
1 day 01:38:34
26:25:29.50

Why do some of the intervals show days broken out whereas others only show hours? I have seen intervals left in hours even when the intervals are more than two days long. FWIW, I would prefer if it was always left in hours, but would be happy if it would just be consistent either way.

Interval is a complex data type, with months, days, and seconds as components. not all days have 24 hours due to DST changes.

ok, here's the paragraph from the manual, explains it better than I can...

   Internallyintervalvalues are stored as months, days, and seconds.
   This is done because the number of days in a month varies, and a day
   can have 23 or 25 hours if a daylight savings time adjustment is
   involved. The months and days fields are integers while the seconds
   field can store fractions. Because intervals are usually created
   from constant strings ortimestampsubtraction, this storage method
   works well in most cases.
   Functions|justify_days|and|justify_hours|are available for adjusting
   days and hours that overflow their normal ranges.