Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Disable Postgresql startup on boot (Windows XP)

On 01/04/11 7:25 PM, Ken wrote:
Hi.  Everytime I boot Windows XP a number of postgres.exe services
start and run in the background.  As I am only an occasional user of
postgresql on my laptop I was wondering how (a) I could disable the
auto-start of the service on boot and (b) how to manually start/stop
postgresql when needed?

A) go into Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Managment -> Services, find the postgresql service, and set its start type to 'manual'

B) either, go to the same place above, and right click->start (or stop), or at a command line shell prompt run the commands

        NET START postgresql-8.4
or
        NET STOP postgresql-8.4