Search Postgresql Archives

Can the query planner create indexes?

Hello,

This question is just for my curiosity...

When an index is available for a query, the planner decides whether to use it or not depending on whether it would make the query perform better, right? However if an index, which does not exist, would make the query run better the planner is not able (allowed?) to create such index, use it, and drop it once the query is done. Why is it so? Why is the query planner not allowed to create indexes, but only allowed to use or not use what's available?

Am I misunderstanding the way the planner works? Any explanation & clarification much appreciated!

All the best and Christmas wishes!
Dario

--

Dr. Dario Beraldi
Institute of Evolutionary Biology

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.