Search Postgresql Archives

Re: techniques for bulk load of spatial data

On 11/30/2010 7:29 AM, Mario Corchero wrote:
Hi, I'm a student of Computer Science,
I know diffrents techniques of bulk load, but I need to know how
specifically postgreSQL make a bulk load of spatial data, could anyone
help me please?
Thank you.

That is a pretty generic question. Have you run into problems? what have you tried?

In general, use COPY.  If its a one time load, temporarily disable fsync.

I use shp2pgsql all the time, and it loads 10's of thousands of records a second. (I've never timed it, it was never something slow that I needed to fix. I just ran it and went on).

Do you have shape files you need to load? Have you tuned your postgresql.conf? Do you want a util to import data for you, or are you writing your own? Are you using PostGIS?

No one can give you specifics without a bunch more detail about what you want.

-Andy