Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Why facebook used mysql ?

On 11/09/2010 06:01 PM, Andy wrote:
MySQL is GPL'd, just like Linux is.

Well it is and it isn't. A couple of years ago when I was involved with choosing DB for a (proprietary) application we could not figure MySQLs license out. It was GPL'd but at the same time if you wanted to use it commercially you had to pay. As far as we could tell you should not need LGPL to make calls to a database.

We choose Postgresql based on features (MySQL did not have stored procedures back then) so we never resolved the license "dilemma" but it sure looked strange.

/Fredric

PS. The license cost as such would not be prohibitive but in our case we did not want the administration that follows licenses. The application was a industrial machine and there where several thousands already out that that would be upgraded and a couple of hundreds a year produced.
begin:vcard
fn:Fredric Fredricson
n:Fredricson;Fredric
org:Ln4 Solutions AB