Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Considering Solid State Drives

Am 11.11.2010 16:40, schrieb David Siebert:
ZFS has an option to use an SSD as cache for the spinning drives. ZFS
under Solaris has turned in some really good IO numbers. The problem is
with the new Sun I am not feeling so good about the open nature of
Solaris. ZFS performance under BSD I have read does not match ZFS under
Solaris.

Very true. Also, we experienced (with a 32-core/64GB Sun X4600 machine and a direct-attached storage array with 24 10k-spindles) that PostgreSQL scaled *badly* (with the number of active, long-running queries) when using ZFS. Installing CentOS with XFS, the same hardware delivered very good scaling and higher absolute performance.

Admitted, this were more or less out-of-the-box configurations (but we did some tuning with ZFS, which resulted in a 2x speedup - still not enough). But the difference was drastic. We went with Linux/XFS then.

 Joachim