Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Libpq is very slow on windows but fast on linux.

Op 10-11-10 08:22, Alban Hertroys schreef:
On 10 Nov 2010, at 5:19, Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:

Further testing shows it is windows networking causing the issue.
Copying files to and from the server is 5 to 6 times slower on a
Windows client compared to the Linux client.

The issue is not specific to libpq.

Do both machines have similar hardware? If the Linux machine has a proper NIC (intel, for example) while the Windows machine
> has a poor NIC (Realtek!), then of course you would get differences in performance.

Not that much, in the past I have seen differences in performance between Intel and Realtek,
20-30% yes, but never by a factor of 5 or 6.

Antonio

I'm not saying Microsofts network stack is particularly good, mind you, just that it isn't necessarily the main cause.
> One of the problems Windows is facing is that, while supporting a lot of hardware is a good thing in general, it also
> supports all the crap hardware, crap drivers and crap ACPI implementations.

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is an excellent way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:737,4cda484310265265216060!