Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Why facebook used mysql ?

On 11/9/2010 11:10 AM, Sandeep Srinivasa wrote:
It was about the technical discussion on Highscalability - I have been trying to wrap my head around the concept of multiple core scaling for Postgres, especially beyond 8 core (like Scott's Magny Coeurs example). My doubt arises from whether Postgres depends on the kernel scheduler for multiple CPU/core utilization.

If that is the case, then does using FreeBSD vs Linux give rise to any differences in scaling?

Hmm...typically multi-core scaling issues are in the area of memory contention and cache coherence (and therefore are for the most part not dependent on the OS and its scheduler).