Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Linux

On 11/04/2010 04:00 PM, Michael Gould wrote:
I know that this is probably a "religion" issue but we are looking to
move Postgres to a Linux server. We currently have a Windows 2008 R2
active directory and all of the other servers are virtualized via VMWare
ESXi. One of the reasons is that we want to use a 64 bit Postgres server
and the UUID processing contrib module does not provide a 64 bit version
for Windows. I would also assume that the database when properly tuned
will probably run faster in a *inx environment.

What and why should I look at certain distributions? It appears from
what I read, Ubanta is a good desktop but not a server.

Best Regards

Just find one that ships with the latest PG, to save you some work. Unless you plan to compile & install PG manually, in that case, any major distribution would do. For production use, how long your version will be supported for (security updates) is likely to be the most important item in your checklist. I use CentOS.

.TM.