Search Postgresql Archives

How to configure pgsql in such a way that it is always recoverable?

Hi,

I migrated a MySQL database to pgsql 9.0.1. I have never used pgsql before and therefore want to learn all the possible ways to keep the database up and running. Following are my queries:

  1. If pgsql service fails to start or due to any reason pgsql database is not connecting, how to restart the service. Where to check for errors?
  2. Imagine a scenario where there is no backup of the database and all I have is the present installation. I want to move my existing database to another PC where a fresh installation of pgsql awaits. Which are those files that need to be moved and how to attach these files on the other installation?
  3. I want to enable all types of Redo logs like things and all types of backup options. I also want to take automatic scheduled backups. How to do this?

Regards,
Rohit P. Khare