Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Which variant to choose?

On 30/10/10 07:56, RP Khare wrote:
  I want to use PostgreSQL for my standalone .NET Windows application. I
downloaded PostgreSQL Advanced Server from EnterpriseDB's website and it
is very smooth. The GUI also very good. But I suspect how along
EnterpriseDB will support it.
> The second option is to download from postgresql.org
> <http://www.postgresql.org/>.

There aren't any substantial differences (that I'm aware of) in the free download from EnterpriseDB vs the community release. It includes a lot of work on the installer package.

I want an edition that lasts long and I can easily upgrade it to future
versions without any problems and it must work smoothly with .NET. It
must also integrate seemlessly with third-party reporting tools.

The core postgresql project typically supports releases for about 5 years. Upgrades within a major release (e.g. 9.0.1 to 9.0.4) are simple. Upgrades between major releases (e.g. 9.0.x to 9.1.x) can be done via a dump/restore or (for the latest releases) the pg_upgrade utility (don't know if it's ported to Windows).

As regards .net and reporting tools, I can't comment. We have drivers for .net, odbc and jdbc but whether they are seamless enough only you can decide.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd